Saturday 9 July 2011

Being the 'cool' Aunty

Twinny pinged across an email to me at work during my lunch hour yesterday, I clicked the attachment and a huge picture of my yummy baby nephew filled my screen.
(I can't help but be amazed at how twinny despite just giving birth 2 months ago has her amazing figure back, does not seem to let sleepless nights faze her and that she is always sat on her laptop updating her facebook and emailing non stop - where does she find the time?!)

Cue my colleagues who are sat near enough oohhing and aahing,

i grin and rattle off (the proud aunty i am) how he actually knows when it's me holding him, how he burps promptly and perfectly,  how he only seems to have the biggest smile when i cuddle him (although twinny firmly believes its him releasing gas, and thats because of me having the knack of taking the wind out of peoples sails), and how he is obviously the most comfortable with me as he vomits over every nice top i wear.

As i excitedly chatter about nephew i see knowing glances between a few of my colleagues.
''Come off it, don't pity me, i'm fine!' I playfully nudge redhaired colleague,
"Ah love you will get that soon i know " she hugs me tightly and gives me a knowing look.

I ping an email back to twinny querying how much he weighs now,
'8 lb 3, come see us tonight if you can' she mails back promptly. I smile in relief, happy that the little stunner is gaining weight slowly but surely and decide to try pop by on the way home from work.

Havent met up with my sisters since the weekend, which feels like a lifetime in our terms.
I love them 3 to death and am head over heels in love with all their kids.

On good days when I am not self wallowing in self pity, i know how blessed I am to have them, to be the 'cool funky Aunt' to my 4 nephews and 2 neices.

I'm the one they turn to to help them with homework, going to their sports matches, or for a bite to eat, or their fave - going out for drives with me (although Hubby says that's only because i crank the volume up way high like a wannabe gangster, so the boys can feel the bass pumping them,, oh and that i drive like a wannabe boy racer - i take that as a compliment) - nice to know im not just a wannabe mum!

I scroll through my saved pics on facebook entitled' Nieces & Nephews' and grin seeing the many pics of when me and hubby have taken the 3 elder nephews and neices out to the park for a kickabout and ice cream,
i loveeeeeee how for that hour or two it actually feels like this is my own family,
this is how it is meant to be, and how i do not want that time to end or give them back, no seriously i do not want to give them back, even when theyre dirty, in need of a nappy change or need their arses wiped.

And you know what the best thing is?
Seeing Hubby with them, i cannot get enough of seeing him playfight with the boys, or softly cuddle the neices and tie up their shoes or adjust their ponytails.

Hubby and I always catch each other's eyes and smile in pure bliss at each other when we're out there rough and tumbling with the kids - He's the cool Uncle and i'm the crazy not so cool Aunt - i can live with that  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment